Gum disease, tooth decay, or the fracture of a tooth can all be reasons why a tooth is recommended for removal. To determine if a tooth needs to be removed, you will need to schedule a consultation with Dr. Esmail. During your consultation, you will have an oral exam and an X-ray evaluation, and you and Dr. Esmail will discuss the best options available to you for tooth restoration — we offer several tooth replacement options at our practice. Your anesthesia options for your extraction will be discussed at this consultation as well. Local anesthesia is most commonly used for tooth extractions, so you will be conscious but will not feel any discomfort during the procedure. For multiple extractions or complicated extractions, your oral surgeon may recommend intravenous (IV) sedation for your procedure.
Why do I need to have my tooth extracted?
Whenever possible, dental professionals will work hard to repair a damaged tooth with a crown, filling, or root canal, but if the damage is too severe or threatens the health of the surrounding teeth, extraction may be the best course of action.
There are several reasons your tooth may need to be extracted, including
- Oral health problems are arising because your jaw is too small to accommodate all your teeth, or your teeth are too crowded
- Previous restorative treatments, such as a root canal, have failed to save the tooth
- Your tooth was injured and/or broken and cannot be restored
- Your tooth is impacted and is unable to erupt from the gums properly (a common occurrence with wisdom teeth)
- Advanced gum disease (periodontal disease)
- Severe infection or tooth decay
- Teeth that are malformed
- As part of a tooth restoration treatment such as the placement of dental implants
Each case is different, which is why we will create an individualized treatment plan for your extraction during your consultation. If you are recommended for an extraction, your tooth/teeth will be removed in the comfort of our Abbotsford, BC, practice by our experienced oral surgeon.
Tooth Extraction in Abbotsford, BC
We are proud to provide the full scope of oral surgery care and tooth replacement solutions to a wide region in the lower British Columbia mainland in the comfort and safety of our practice in Abbotsford, BC. As an experienced oral surgeon, Dr. Esmail can help you restore your missing tooth or teeth after extraction. If you have questions about tooth extraction or any of our procedures, please contact us to schedule a consultation. We appreciate the opportunity to restore your smile at Abbotsford Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Centre.